700g plain flour
200g brown sugar
150g honey or golden syrup
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cardemon
2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground nutmeg
250g butter (cubed)
2 large eggs
3 tsp baking soda
Pinch of ground pepper
Combine 400g icing with one egg white
1. Mix the sugar, honey/syrup and all spices in a saucepan and bring to the simmer.
2. Add the cubed butter and stir until the butter melts. Remove from the heat and cool.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigoursly with a wooden spoon.
4. Mix flour and baking soda then add gradually to the sugar and spice mix.
5. Knead the dough until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
6. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 4 hours or even better - overnight.
7. To make the cookie, place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll until 3mm thick.
8. Cut the desired shapes and place onto a tray lined with baking paper.
9. Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees.