Saturday 20 August 2011

The Estonian National Anthem - "Mu isamaa, mu õnn ja rõõm"

With today being the "Day of Restoration of Independence" I thought it fitting to post the Estonian national anthem. Several of my relatives fought in the Estonian War of Independence which took place between November 1918 and February 1920 and I would like to acknowledge their heroism here. Unfortunately independence only lasted twenty-two years in Estonia until the country was once again occupied by Soviet and German forces, but thankfully Estonian independence was restored on the 20th August 1991 a day when Estonians around the world could once again rejoice in their freedom. For many Estonians however, World War II only ended in 1994 when the last Russian soldier left Estonia.




Mu isamaa, mu õnn ja rõõm  (My Fatherland, My Happiness and Joy)

Mu isamaa, mu õnn ja rõõm
kui kaunis oled sa!
Ei leia mina iial teal
see suure, laia ilma peal
mis mul nii armas oleks ka
kui sa, mu isamaa!

Sa oled mind ju sünnitand
ja üles kasvatand;
sind tänan mina alati
ja jään sull' truuiks surmani
mul kõige armsam oled sa
mu kallis isamaa!

Su üle Jumal valvaku
mu armas isamaa!
Ta olgu sinu kaitseja
ja võtku rohkest õnnista
mis iial ette võtad sa
mu kallis isamaa!

English translation

My fatherland, my joy and happiness
How beautiful you are!
I shall not find such ever
In this huge wide world
Which would be so dear to me
As you, my fatherland!

You have given me birth
And raised me up
I shall thank you always
And remain faithful to you 'til death
To me most beloved are you
My precious fatherland!

May God watch over you
My precious fatherland!
Let Him be your defender
And provide bountiful blessings
For whatever you undertake
My precious fatherland!