Monday 6 November 2017

My gift to Estonia for EV100

The Republic of Estonia will celebrate its 100th birthday on February 24, 2018. On this day one hundred years will have passed since the proclamation of Estonia as an independent, democratic republic. This is undoubtedly one of the most important and greatest milestones in our history with great meaning for us all. The 100th anniversary of the Republic of Estonia is a celebration for everyone and the perfect opportunity to show love and pride for our homeland. 

As part of the Eesti Vabariik celebrations (EV100), people have been invited to donate gifts or host special events to mark the occasion. Many wonderful contributions have been made to Estonia for the centenary and I too wanted to give something special with both cultural significance and deep meaning for myself. The photographs taken by my great-grandfather Arthur Lestal are my pride and joy. Through his work as a photographer, Arthur captured the essence of life in Estonia during its first period of independence (1918-1940). Sadly Arthur died in 1941 due to the occupation but many of his photographs have been preserved. They can be found in various museums across Estonia, in printed books and in my personal collection.  







It fills me with humbling joy that Arthur's work is now part of the EV100 celebration. It is his and my gift to Estonia on this momentous occasion. His works can be viewed on the official EV100 website here: The works of Estonian photographer Arthur Lestal