Friday 22 February 2019

How to celebrate a birthday like an Estonian

I love birthdays and celebrations and not just that of my own, but those of beloved family and friends.  The best gifts are always the most thoughtful ones and they don't need to be expensive, just chosen with love. When I buy gifts I tend to buy something the recipient wants, plus something nice and unexpected. The desired response is always to receive a 'wow!' 


When I was growing up, it was common to have a birthday table with a nice tablecloth and all the presents put on display. In the afternoon there was always a large cake and a bottle of champagne. These days people sometimes replace the glass of bubbly with a glass of Vana Tallinn when doing the birthday toast.

Many Estonians are deeply connected with their roots and appreciate gifts relating to their home parish.  Presents to do with hobbies and interests are always appreciated especially when  wrapped in folk print or national colours.

A few people dear to me celebrate their birthday today and naturally I am thinking of them. If you are celebrating on this day too then I wish you a very happy birthday. Palju õnne sünnipäevaks!