Thursday 15 July 2021

The relief of being vaccinated

We have been living with the coronavirus pandemic for over a year and a half now and it's unlikely to disappear any time soon.  We all still need ro excerise vigilance, wear a mask in public and adhere to social distancing rules. Top proirity should be to get vaccinated.


Three weeks ago I had the Johnson & Johnson jab and I am now fully vaccinated. Naturally I was concerned about side-effects but I didn't experience any. Such a relief! I now have my EU vaccination passport and can travel without restriction to many places.  A summer holiday in Estonia is definitely looking favourable at the moment. My brother in Poland (vaccinated with Pfizer) is likely to join me.

The situation in Australia is quite concerning. The government has done a dreadful job rolling out the vaccine despite having ample time to get organised. There is no excuse for such poor management. Most of my family live in Australia and they are only starting to get vaccinated now. One family member had a bad reaction to her first dose of AstraZeneca and is worried about her second. Pfizer seems the way to go but it is only available to people under the age of 50. 

We must keep in mind that the vaccines don't give 100% protection. The risk of infection is greatly reduced, however you can still catch covid and be sick for several weeks afterwards. It has happened,  cases have been reported. Being vaccinated should keep you out of hospital and the intensive care unit. Vaccination gives you peace of mind and saves lives.