Monday 17 July 2023

My Ten Favourite Estonian Aromas

Many fantastic events have taken place in Estonia recently - Jaanipäev, Youth Song and Dance Festival and The Tallinn Maritime Days have been a few of the highlights. Summer is a wonderful time of year to be in Estonia to attend festivals, especially with the long nights and warm days. But if you are someone like me who lives abroad,  then it's likely you will miss out on many of these summertime events, or only attend a few of them. 

I love Estonia and often miss being there. From time to time there have moments when a certain scent or smell might remind me of Estonia. This often triggers me to think about my next trip back to the homeland. There are so many wonderful aromas that I  consider to be classic Estonian. They always being back fond memories or lead to cravings.

Here are ten of my favourite Estonian aromas.

1. Black Estonian bread - the darker the better!

2. Kaneelirullid / Cinnamon Rolls 

3. Freshly baked piparkoogid

4. Roast pork, sauerkraut and potatoes

5. Baltic sea air

6. The Estonian forest

7. Roast almonds. The scent of the Old Town!

8. Küüslauguleivad / Estonian garlic bread

9. Warm spiced glögi at Christmas time

10.  Dill