Monday 2 January 2023

A great read for the holiday season - Sailing to Freedom

If you are like me and always on the lookout for a good Estonian themed book to read, I recommend 'Sailing to Freedom.' I was recently introduced to this book to by Sirje at the Estonian consulate in Salzburg who told me it's a great real life escape story that took place in 1945. I'm halfway through the book at the moment and found it to be a real page turner. I can well imagine the fear and uncertainty these people experienced because my Estonian grandparents would have felt similar emotions during this time. Thank goodness they all made it to safety!

     

If you are interested in other Estonian stories that have been translated into English, ERR News recently published a list of the Best Estonian books in translation in 2022