Monday 13 August 2018

August 13 is Left Handers' Day!

Happy Left Handers' Day! I only recently discovered that there is actually a special day for this and since I am left handed myself, I thought I might mention it. I quite like the fact that I am left handed as I have no problem being a little bit different from everyone else. I enjoy the fact that I am creative, someone who thinks outside of the box and can multi-task with ease. It comes naturally.

A few years ago while I was in Tallinn I had a fascinating encounter with some of my relatives. I was sitting in a cafe with my third cousin Natalja and her daughter Katriin when we all simutaneously picked up our spoons and began stirring our coffee's at the same time. This in itself was no big deal until Natalja pointed out that we were all doing it with our left hands!  I had no idea they were both left handed. I was truly amazed! Not even in my immediate family is anyone left handed, apart from one uncle, so to realise this was truly amazing. Natalja is the grand-daughter of my grandfather's cousin Ralf which shows this gene is particularly strong in that side of the family.  I was delighted to discover this!


A few facts about left handed people:
1. Make up roughly 12% of the population.
2. Use the right side of the brain the most.
3. Better at 3D perception and thinking.
4. Better at multi-tasking.
5. Have good leadership qualities.
6. Left-handed people are often quite athletic, roughly 40% of the top tennis players are lefties.

Left-handed people tend to make more use of the right side of their brains.


Famous left handed people:
Julius Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte, Leonardo da Vinci, Mozart,  
Albert Einstein, Paul McCartney, Oprah Winfrey, Barack Obama, 
Jimi Hendrix, Marilyn Monroe, Keanu Reeves, Brad Pitt and Tom  Cruise. 
Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles and Prince William are all left handed too..


For more information, please refer to the official website Happy Left Handers Day!