Friday 6 November 2020

Estonian Railway Celebrates 150th Birthday!

The first railway was opened in Estonia on the 5th of November 1870 and ran the Paldiski-Tallinn-Narva-Gatchina route. In the same year, the new railway was connected to the St. Petersburg-Warsaw railway. The train network revolutionised travel in the region. It boosted trade and economic growth, improved infrastructure and created new settlements. Palju õnne Eesti Raudtee!

Tallinn Railway station group photo 1871

One of the first train engineers in Estonia was my great-great-grandfather Carl Woldemar Becker (1845-1890). He was born in Kadriorg and married my great-great-grandmother Julie Louise Jorik in Tallinn in 1879. I am very proud that my family is part of Estonian history.

Archive marriage record.

The Becker family in Tallinn 1900.
Sadly I don't have a photo of Carl Becker.

Eesti Post has released this commemorative stamp.