Sunday 21 March 2021

An Estonian in Trieste

As parts of Europe prepare for another hard lockdown due to the third wave of coronavirus, I've come to the realisation that I won't be going on holiday again anytime soon. Last year I did manage a few brief getaways, I visited Cologne (Köln) in June, Warsaw in August and Trieste in September.  The city of Trieste has long been on my travel wish list as it was the place where my Estonian grandmother left Europe and set sail for Australia. Back in 1949 life was uncertain for Baltic refugees living in German DP camps. Emigrating to Australia provided an opportunity for a bright new future.

The Port of Trieste

Trieste is a lovely city with classic Italian architecture. 

Ancient structure 'Arco di Riccardo'. It's well over 2000 years old.

Trieste is surrounded by large hills.

I explored the Port of Trieste in search of clues from the past.
I came across this old train line and accomodation building.

My grandmother most likely travelled here from Hamburg by train. 

She might have stayed here until the ship was ready to board. 

My grandmother Hertha (right) with my Uncle Kuno.
They left Trieste in the spring of 1949 and sailed to Australia onboard the SS Dundalk Bay.