Friday 17 July 2015

Three Days in Tallinn

When it comes to summer holidays there are three countries I like to visit the most. France for its historic sites and delicious pastries, Switzerland for its breathtaking scenery and Lindt chocolates and then there's Estonia - a place that is always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. 

Since 2003 when I first visited Estonia I have explored many wonderful places in Tallinn but there is still so much to see. With each visit I endeavour to see as much as I can but there are always so many fascinating destinations I keep adding to my list. In time, slowly but surely I will get to experience them all.

For my summer holiday this year I decided to spend three days in Tallinn before moving on to Tartu and other destinations. Here is a photo log of my trip.

Every time I pass through Tallinn airport I notice the subtle improvements.

A great view to wake up to each morning.
My apartment in Suur Karja Street.

Tallinn Medieval Days - this is the first time I have attended the event.

My favourite stall at the markets - an old printing press.

The alfresco dining in the Old Town is absolutely lovely during the summer months.

A trip to the Estonian Open Air Museum is a must when visiting Tallinn.
To get there either drive or catch the number 21 bus outside the main train station. The journey takes 25 minutes. Entry to the museum is only 6€ for adults and you can literally spend all day there.

For those who love photography the Photo Museum behind Tallinn's Town Hall is extremely interesting.

Entry is only 2€.

 
Despite the fact that this museum is located in the heart of the Old Town, this is the first time I have ever been here. The current exhibition is 'Spirit of Survival. 11,000 Years of Estonian History'. The Golden Victoria Award that was presented to the Baltic leaders last year is housed here.

I discovered a new fact. The monument at Freedom Square was funded by donations.

The Marzipan Gallery in Pikk Street exceeded my expectations.

After hearing so many positive reviews about the Hell Hunt (Gentle Wolf) I decided to stop by for a meal. I found the establishment to be quite good in size with a pleasant atmosphere and the food is reasonably priced. Worth a visit.

Farewell Tallinn! Until next time!
Next stop - Tartu!